Wednesday, November 30, 2011

week11.


It was really interesting that I learned lots of things about art history through this class. Especially, I enjoyed prehistoric art and ancient Egypt art during this quarter. I usually intrigued by the visual details. When we look through all the details we could know about the characteristic the artistic periods. However, the historical context would help to understand more and eventually the historical context is the best part for understanding these works of art. About the prehistoric art, I was surprised that how that old works of art could exist till now. And, I like the cave wall painting. It is quite abstractive but I guess that people who lived in that period wanted to express something through painting instead of letter. Also, in the prehistoric art, I really like the Woman from Willendorf and I think it is really interesting piece of work. It is quite small but it represented meaningful things. Her body expressing health and fertility that could ensure the ability tot produce strong child. And it could be a pregnant woman’s perspective to own body.  Actually I really like the Egypt arts and structures as well. Pyramid is the most interesting structure to me. I was always wondering how to make these wonderful structures in that period. The great pyramid at Giza is the one of the greatest architectural in the world. It is the true pyramid with a square base and four sloping triangular faces, and the angled sides may have been meant to represent the slanting rays of the sun, for inscriptions on the walls of pyramid tombs built in the Fifth and Sixth Dynasties (Stokstad 56).   Usually people just know as visually about the historic works of art but in this quarter, I learned lots of periods of arts with histories in detail. 

3 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed learning a lot about art history throughout this quarter. Before taking this class I truly had a vague knowledge of arts history, and now that the course is through I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about the subject and a true liking for art itself.
    As you said it was also fun to learn to look at the art through specific details of the various cultures and time periods. It is always fun to learn a new perspective on how to look at things and analyze them and we learned that in this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you felt that you learned a lot. I think you have a nice observation that prehistoric people seemed to search for expression (or communication) through abstract paintings instead of letters. At this point, there are no written records or alphabets known for the prehistoric period. (In fact, "prehistory" really means "pre-writing.")

    I hope you enjoyed this class! I enjoyed teaching you and your classmates.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you as I too enjoyed the wonders of Egyptian art and stuff like that. I was very intrigued by Egyptian structures, as you had pointed out because they were quite nice and wonderful. I had mentioned the pyramid at Giza as well and it was very nice as being the greatest structure of its time. As for the women of Willendorf I took quite a different approach to what it was and represented. Looking back on it it seems that you were/are right in your view on it and I found that to be nice as well.

    ReplyDelete